Thursday, January 15, 2009

We're under way- - -

We met with our Stake Pres. on Tuesday night. Apparently we were supposed to have our paper application filled out before that appt., but didn't know that. So, as he said, we'd do this backwards, interview first, paperwork last.

He started by asking if we had current Temple recommends and if we were still worthy to have them. He asked if we spoke Spanish. Then, he asked if there was anything in our past that, if it became public knowledge, would embarrass us or the Church if it became known while we were serving as missionaries. Mostly He just talked to us for awhile. He dug out the recommend forms; copied them and sent us on our way. He said that when we completed the forms, to give them to our Bishop who would sign them; give them back to him for signature; and he would then submit them. The actual call/assignment would come to him in a letter, which he would be required to sign. He would them forward it to our Bishop who would then issue the formal call to us and set up apart as missionaries.

So, we went home and filled out the form that night. The next day we both decided that we needed to redo them a bit neater. Dad downloaded the forms from the computer and we went to work. When I got to the box that asked for your membership number, I went to get my recommend out of my wallet and it wasn't there. I looked in my temple bag, altho the last time I used it was for a sealing only and didn't need/take my bag. Looked thru my wallet again; looked thru the purse that I sometimes use. Couldn't find it.

So last night I went to the church during the ward recommend time to report a lost recommend and start a new one. Our bishopric arranges for one of them to be available on Wed. nite from 7-8 pm for interviews--no appt needed. I got there at the same time another couple from the ward arrived--just at 7 pm. No counselor in sight. A few minutes later, one of my visiting teaching sisters came in also for a recommend. Still no counselor around. About 7:15, Aaron knocked on the Bishop's door. He was there, but in an interview. So we all waited. About 7:30 the couple went home to put kids to bed. Jen and I just waited it out. Finally, about 7:50 the Bishop came out, very apologetic. I went in; told him my plight; gave him our forms; and went thru the drill to get a new recommend. We talked for a few minutes about the mission. He is excited for us and gave me some counsel. He is good about followup so i am sure that the President will have our papers very promptly.

We have no idea at this point how long it will take for the call to be processed. We suspect that they go thru pretty quickly as the need is apparently high, and the prospects and low, or at least lower than the need. So we will just wait and see. We are still pumped about this and are anxious to proceed. We are quilting nearly every minute we can to try to get this quilt done.

No comments:

Post a Comment